, , , ,

Resolution: Organize

7:34 AM

My goal? Not quite, but it is a beauty! Photos via Domino unless otherwise noted. 

Who hasn't let out a sigh of frustration at the sight of their closet? I recently took a look at the state of mine and wanted to throw everything out and start over! Though on my budget, that's not an option. Since adding all of my new husband's clothes to my large, but full, closet, we haven't done any organizing. But now it's a new year, and I am determined to make the time. Often, we have an idea of what we'd like the end result to be: A copy of the impossibly perfect closets we see in Martha Stewart Living, but usually I can't get there because I piddle out halfway through the process lacking the necessary inspiration and direction. This time, though, I'm going in with a game plan with a little help from the masters: Domino, House Beautiful, and Martha Stewart.
A mirror or framed picture can spruce up an otherwise bland space.


Step One: Where to begin? House Beautiful had a great tip for that question (and a fantastic article that must be read in full): "Ask yourself: If all of this were gone tomorrow, what would I miss?" Refer to that answer as you clean out the overworn, the ill-fitting, and the uncomfortable pieces. It amazes me that I probably only wear about one-third of the things I own. Every time I purge I still hang on to some things that should have been donated ages ago. With that thought in mind, I can get rid of the things that are just taking up valuable space and make room for some shiny, new things I'll really wear!



Labelled baskets are a closet's best friend!

Step Two: Prepare for the New! Out with the old, in with the new, but not before the closet is prepped and ready for some much needed additions. This is the part where you get inspiration from photos and magazines! I've come up with a few goals I'd like to accomplish: First, to add shelving to the floor space for our shoes and boots. They're closer to my feet that way and easier to see, as opposed to using the over the door rack I have now. Second, I want to use baskets on the top shelf to group items like purses, gloves, hats, etc. keeping them out of sight. Third, I want to remove the extra rod we have and install several hooks to hang belts and bags. Martha Stewart has an article on her website that gives lots more great closet outfitting ideas.



Utilize floor space, because what else will you do with it?


Step Three: Get what you need. For this task, I took some guidance from The Lucky Shopping Manual, tailoring it to my needs. For instance, my job does not require me to wear suits, and I rarely don a cocktail dress, but I do need lots of comfortable flats and dressy jeans. Take a look at what you have and fill in the blanks, but be tough. Don't just buy something to fill a wardrobe hole. Buy it because it looks good on you and makes you feel great. Of course, this can't get done in one weekend. It's an ongoing process. Keeping a list of your needed items handy will make shopping easier when you can get around to it.



The shoes! Oh! The shoes!


Step Four: Organize what you have. Everyone agrees: group your clothes by item, season, and color. My husband's side will be a breeze. Dress shirts, sweaters, slacks, jackets. My wardrobe will pose more of a challenge. I figure I'll begin by separating by season, then item, then arranging by color. I love the look of a color organized closet!



A good wardrobe doesn't have to be big, just versatile.


Step Five: Maintain it! All that hard work will be for naught if I let it fall by the wayside once again. So step five is to clean, reorganize, and, if need be, purge every couple of months. The result? A beautiful closet, an easier morning routine, and a happy husband!

You Might Also Like

1 comments