, , ,

Peddle Power: City Bikes We Like

6:34 AM

Two and a half years ago, I sold my dying car for parts. I never bought a replacement. That makes me sort of an anomaly here in Houston where the weather and urban planning do not lend themselves to a walker friendly environment. I have many answers to people who stare at me in disbelief when I tell them I am living sans auto. I get a weird thrill by saying I do it so that my carbon footprint is smaller than theirs, or that I am a truly a displaced NY-er who can't conform. Not driving is like my small rebellion.


However... every time about this year I wish that I could arrive at my destinations much faster. As the mercury rises (very quickly) and the humidity becomes unbearably oppressive I wonder why I don't own a bicycle. Now I am obsessed with all things bike. The last few years I declined to purchase one because I didn't know how to store it in my micro studio apartment, but I have seen some clever bike storage options and I am officially out of arguments.


Cycloc... a cool minimal way to get your bike out of your way. And your bike becomes art!
Industrial Designers have been stepping it up a notch on bike design for urban dwellers who are interested in style and design as well as high tech features. These bikes allow the rider to sit straighter.

Perhaps my favorite right now, the Fisher Simply City Bike. So classically pretty (*swoon)
Trek Soho
Puma Biomega fold-up city bike. You can store it under your bed or carry it on the subway.

The bike culture in some European cities has lent itself to a more fashion and comfort styled bike. The Dutch and Danish bikes are tops on my list. I dream of getting one of these and riding around like the girls from Copenhagen girls on bikes. Check out their cool fashion shots and tips on city biking.




Scrap Deluxe by Velorbis of Copenhagen. Yummy.




The Victoria Classic also by Velorbis
. My other bike crush o' the day.
Oma bicycle by Jorg and Olif. A classic style you see all over Amsterdam.






Now that I am getting a bike, I have a legitimate reason to buy this adorable basket to hook onto my handlebars for carrying parcels. Its so great because it has a strap so you can carry it into the store as well! I'm all for the green one.






One last thought: With gas prices rising to obscenely high prices and bicycles costing far less than a car, bikes are a great economical advantage for city commuters. They also do not contribute to environmental pollution and they are a great way to reduce obesity and get into shape.


And... how cool is this? The Bloom device lets you release seed saturated bubbles as you bike. According to the website "Similar to the tuft of a dandelion as the wind carries the seedling, we propose a way of dispersing seedlings with bubbles and bicycling. Seeds are co-mingled with a bubble mixture and upon pedaling to your destination , you release the floating seeds which land in cracks and crevices throughout the city streets. Over time, the seeds grow into flowers and plants to create a green "fringe" to our sidewalks and streets" Check out the video demonstration on their website.



Happy Peddling!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. HHave you considered some of the Chinese roadsters? Same design, same quality (in the right brands) and a whole lot cheaper.

    ReplyDelete