,

Gadgets for Girls

6:29 PM

Since getting engaged, two things have been on my mind constantly: what will I wear and what will I ask for? It's the only time in my life I can give people a list of things I want and actually expect to get them all. I've been perusing my favorite kitchen shops in the quest for the perfect registry- Crate & Barrel, Sur la Table, Williams Sonoma- and here are my favorite "gadgets" for the kitchen. And these aren't just eye candy. These are things you will actually use again and again.

Let's start off simply. Nobody likes the cleanup involved after cooking. So take some of it out of the equation. Do your chopping right over the sink and forget about juices running all over your counters. Throw the whole she-bang in the dishwasher and your cleanup is finito! This Red Gripboard is from Sur la Table.


I just happened upon this little baby today and I can't wait to get my hands on one. Prepping your food is almost always the most time consuming part of cooking (unless you have a sous chef at your side), so anything you can use to get through the chopping, slicing, and julienne-ing quickly is fantastic. This de Buyer Mandoline from Williams Sonoma will slice and dice to your hearts content. It's like a tiny version of the huge slicers that butchers use to slice your meat at the grocery store. Make sure yours is dishwasher safe like this one because you'll use it all the time!
Ahh, the microplane. There is no better gadget for grating than this! Forget big bulky graters when you are zesting your favorite citrus fruit. The greatest thing about them is that they are inexpensive and a staple at kitchen shops. These red Microplane Graters are from Sur la Table.

While making dips for a party this week I borrowed my big sister's Mini Prep and what a difference this thing makes! What would normally take an hour to make took 5 minutes (no kidding!). Just throw your food in, give it a few pulses, and you will have prefectly chopped food ready for cooking. As one who hates chopping, I anticipate using this one all the time. My fiance/onion chopper will be so happy. Get your Cuisinart Mini Prep from Crate & Barrel
.


Here it is. The grand daddy of all kitchen appliances. The one tool every woman lusts after. The KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer. Literally, art for your kitchen. This vintage looking mixer will free up your hands every time you bake. Just throw in your ingredients and watch it mix! It's a must have for anyone who fantasizes themselves a Martha Stewart in the making. But that's not my favorite part. It comes in a plethora of colors (I picked Persimmon)! Go bright, go neutral, go goth, whatever! I'm registering for mine at Dillard's.

I'm on a smoothie kick lately. Good for me, bad for my overexerted blender. Washing a bulky blender every morning is no fun. So I'm getting this SmartStick Hand Blender from Crate & Barrel
. Now, instead of filling my dishwasher again and again, I can just toss the ingredients in a cup, blend, blend, blend, rinse, and drink! It also attaches to a mini food processor if you have some hardcore ingredients to blend.


Last weekend, I made a trip to Home Depot to pick up some flowers and herbs to perk up my porch. I love using fresh herbs because they taste so much better in food! The only part I hate is mincing them. Herbs are almost impossible as they are tiny and a bit slippery. Well, that's history now. Enter the Herb Mill from Williams Sonoma. Just stuff your herbs in the top, turn the crank a few times, and out come freshly minced fresh herbs to freshen your food (did I say "fresh" enough there?). 
I don't know about you, but I think from now on I'll be cranking out five course dinners in 30 minutes or less every night now. You can bet every one of these puppies will be on my registry. Now, I wonder how my parents would feel about moving the wedding up to April so I can get all the goodies on my registry now!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. gadgets for girls? a bit sexist, no? blog about getting married/engaged aside, not all women "lust" after kitchen gadgets, and many men do. how about "gadgets your hubby might like too?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this blogger was trying to be sexist. Reading into it much, eh?

    ReplyDelete